Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Paper Weight

I fly.

Yes I take up to the sky and glide amongst it. I dance with the strongest winds and flirt with the possibility of being torn apart. But only with you I fly, without you I can never be so graceful. If these lines were cut, I would come down - albeit slowly gliding to a crowd of gleeful scavengers. Then I would not know my fate. Would I ever fly again?

Till today, I lay hung up like all the rest. Not knowing what my fate would be. Who would be my master? Who would pay for me? Who would string me up? Would they know how to take care of me? It was frightful, the whole waiting game. Watching everyone as they passed along. Some throwing second glances and sone not even bothering to look. Yet, I hung there and waited.

As fate would have me, you picked me. You were beaming as you paid for me and carefully carried me over to your house. Exuberence, joyous, brimming with childish enthusiasm. You ran up with me and I was worried. You seemed brash and I was worried if you would be able to keep me aloft?

I watched with a mixed feeling as you measured out the string. I felt like Papillon jumping into the ocean, not knowing whether I would come crashing down or I would finally taste freedom. You strung me up with precision, and it felt good. I felt snug and secure. You lay me on the ground and gave a little tug.

Anxious and fearful.

A little more purposeful tug and the breeze lifts me. A little more tug and a little more airflow and I am up. I needn’t have worried. I was free. Moments later I was soaring. Up, up and up. Into the skies. I am kite and I feel free. I see everyone, I see everything, and I see everywhere.

I am far, but I’m still connected with you. I feel the wind getting stronger. It’s trying to blow me away, but I feel the string. I feel you holding me and I feel safe. I don’t mind the wind, it’s only trying to take me higher. But there are other dangers up here. The birds may tear me, the other kites may cut the string, the line may break. But I trust you. I trust that you’ll feel the strain . I needn’t worry. I know you’ll reel me in when the time is right. When the sun starts setting and darkness comes, you’ll reel me in and I’ll be home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment